Dental Fluoride Treatments in Edmonds
Strengthen Your Tooth Enamel with a Fluoride Treatment
Professional in-office fluoride treatments make teeth stronger and even heal weakened areas. And fluoride is one of the most effective agents that can help prevent tooth decay. In the lifelong fight against cavities, both adults and children benefit from our in-office fluoride treatments.
Why are Fluoride Treatments Necessary?
When you are not getting enough fluoride exposure to ensure their teeth are protected, fluoride treatments may be recommended. Fluoride treatments may also be recommended for the following reasons:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Sensitive tooth and root surfaces
- High sugar and carbohydrate diet
- Low exposure to fluoride
- History of teeth decay
- Low saliva flow as a result of medication or medical conditions
What is Fluoride?
Fluoride is a naturally-occuring mineral that is usually added to city water systems. It is also used in many dental care products in small amounts to strengthen the teeth and help prevent tooth decay.
How Does Fluoride Work?
Fluoride works by:
- Killing disease-causing bacteria
- Guarding against tooth sensitivity
- Seeping into hard-to-reach places to prevent further damages
There are two types of fluoride: topical and systemic.
- Topical Fluoride strengthens the teeth making them more resistant to decay. This type of fluoride comes from using fluoride-containing dental products such as toothpaste, mouth rinses and gels.
- Systemic Fluoride strengthens teeth that have erupted as well as teeth that have not. This is the ideal choice for children who are still developing teeth. We get systemic fluoride from the foods we eat and drink.
What is Involved in a Fluoride Treatment?
Our in-office fluoride treatment is more potent and effective than over-the-counter treatments such as rinses or pastes. It is a very simple procedure which only takes a few minutes and is absolutely pain-free. We apply a varnish to your teeth and then fill a mouthguard with fluoride foam. Next the mouthguard is applied to your teeth and remains on the teeth for about four minutes.
Don’t let tooth decay ruin your smile!
Call our experienced dental team at Emerald City Smiles in Edmonds to schedule your fluoride treatment to ensure your teeth are well protected. We want to make sure your smile will stay brilliant, white and healthy for years to come which is why we highly recommended preventative dental treatments like dental fluoride and sealants as well as dental exams and teeth cleanings to help prevent tooth decay before it begins.
- General Dentistry
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Dental Implants
- Sedation Dentistry