Could I Be a Candidate for Clear Aligners?
Clear aligners, including Invisalign and others, have revolutionized orthodontic treatment for millions of people in the U.S. So, if you’re not happy with the alignment of your teeth, if you have an issue with your bite that you’d like to correct, or if your dentist recommends orthodontic treatment for your teen, you may wonder if you could be a candidate for clear aligners. Read on to learn who makes the best candidates for clear aligners.
What Conditions Can Clear Aligners Correct?
Clear aligners can correct minor to moderate problems with bite (malocclusion) and teeth alignment. Specifically, clear aligners can correct the following conditions
- Crooked teeth
- Crowded teeth
- Gapped teeth
- Slanted teeth
- Open bite
Severe malocclusions may be best treated with traditional braces. Large gaps between teeth may respond more rapidly to traditional orthodontic braces.
Who Makes the Best Candidate for Clear Aligners?
Teens and adults who need or want to improve the appearance and function of their teeth and mouth should schedule an appointment with an experienced Invisalign and clear aligner provider. During this consultation, your dentist will confirm your eligibility for treatment with clear aligners by confirming the following:
- You are free of active gum disease
- You have all of your adult teeth
- You do not have underlying oral health conditions that must be treated first
- The conditions you wish to correct can be corrected with clear aligners
Because clear aligners are not bonded to the teeth like braces, the success of treatment depends largely on the patient. To that end, the best candidates for clear aligners are those who:
- Will follow instructions for daily wear as prescribed
- Will protect the aligner trays when not being worn
- Practice good oral hygiene
- Feel motivated to correct bite issues and tooth misalignments
- Have experienced shifting in the teeth after previous treatment with braces
Differences Between Clear Aligners and Orthodontic Braces
Clear aligners are growing in popularity each year for many reasons, including:
- Removable trays allow you to eat what you want
- Nearly invisible trays offer greater discretion
- Plastic trays are less abrasive than bracket and wire braces
- Fewer appointments during treatment
- Ability to brush and floss teeth normally
- May offer a shorter treatment time
- Noticeable results within weeks
Clear aligners are typically comparable in price to traditional braces. If your dental insurance policy covers orthodontic treatment, clear aligners may be covered. Check with your insurance company.
Book a Consultation for Clear Aligners in Mountlake Terrace, WA
Dr. Corina Marcus provides orthodontic treatment with clear aligners including Invisalign. To learn more or to schedule a consultation with Dr. Marcus at Altitude Dental in Mountlake Terrace, WA, call 425-775-3446 or message us to request your appointment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do clear aligners hurt?
Clear aligners are made of smooth plastic, so they don’t irritate the soft tissues in the mouth. However, as your teeth shift into their correct alignment, you may feel a sensation of pressure, rather than acute pain.
How long is treatment with clear aligners?
The severity of the condition that you’re seeking to correct, and adherence to your treatment plan to correct will determine the duration of your treatment. Some people with minor imperfections may only need treatment for a few months. More severe misalignments or bite issues may take 18 months or longer to treat. Failing to wear the alignment trays at least 20 hours per day will prolong treatment.